haunts • history • encounters • photography • exploration
bucket lists • check-ins • group investigations • ongoing research
Small town and bridge of import.An old one-lane bridge that is reportedly haunted.
Harney is a very small Maryland town that is located near the border of Pennsylvania. There is an old one-lane bridge in Harney that is reportedly haunted.
People say if you stop your car on the bridge you will hear strange noises and sometimes a ghostly apparition will appear.
The area was settled by Joshua Harley and Henry Burkitt. The two men competed to control and eventually named the town. Burkitt owned three quarters of the land by 1810. In 1824 Harley secured the official post office. In 1836 Joshua Harley died but he had the last word, he named the town Burkittsville before died. People believe that these two competitors still haunt the town. There are other ghostly spirits that haunt the town. Paranormality and tragedy have a history of more than a 100 years. In 1735 Middletown was settled by German immigrants. According to the Valley Register the community was terrorized by a monster called a Schnellegeister. The word Schnellegeister is German for fast spirit or ghost. It was also called Snallygaster. The colonial people said that it was a mixed animal, half bird features of the Siren with the nightmarish features of demons. They also said it was half reptile with octopus limbs, and halfbird with a metallic beak that had razor sharp teeth. It could fly and pick up its victims and carry them off. The village people said the creature sucked the blood of its victims. People believe that the Snallygaster played a major role in causing the people to hastily sell the land that was later Burkittsville. It is known that George Wine, who bought the final acreage, did not live to confirm the purchase. Snallygaster has been a joke to some people but others recall that it has been documented in the Burkittsville area as recently as 1973. Another German settlement named Zittlestown was seven miles north of Burkittsville and it was also plagued by strange events. The residents also feared a large and vicious animal spirit that was rarely seen. A widow of Admiral John A. Dahlgren named Madeleine wrote a book to document the troubles of the town.
A principal who basically never goes home.The school is haunted by a former principle. The ghostly woman has been seen walking up and down the halls of the middle school. The students did not like her because she was a rather cruel principle. She died during the school year and was buried on school grounds so as to be close to her favorite place, dearies.
The house that Josh built.Cockey Homestead was owned by Joshua F. Cockey who was born in May of 1729 and died December 17, 1764. Josh built the house himself, and he loved his home.
Helpful little BethBJ's Wholesale was built on the grounds of an old trailer park. Unfortunately, a young girl named Beth had been murdered at this trailer park.
The young girl's ghost now haunts BJ's. The ghostly young girl has been seen by the workers overnight.
Beware the quiet onesAn 875-pound boulder sits in front of the Historical Society in Leonardtown. Molly Dyer, the accused witch, was found with her hand frozen to this rock after she was driven from her home on one of the coldest nights of the year --the townsfolk had burned down her cabin. Molly froze to death that night, and she was found with her hand frozen onto the rock. When they removed her body, the impressions of her knees and hands were left at the scene, firmly etched in the rock. This happened more than three hundred years ago and you can still see her hand-print on the rock.
Molly's cabin was located in an area that is now known as Molly Dyer's Run. Her ghostly apparition has been seen floating over the land near where she had lived. The large boulder was moved in 1975 to the front of the Historical Society Jail Museum. People report feeling uncomfortable around the rock, sometimes complaining about aches and pains. Camera malfunctions are often reported around the rock.
The Jail Museum is located at Business Route 5 at 41625 Old Courthouse Drive in Leonardtown. FMI 301-475-2467 or see www.smchsonline.org.
They leave a seat free for this oneThe theater on campus, Brua Hall, is said to be haunted by a man from the Civil War era. His apparition frequently visits the theater at night and has been spotted backstage and on the catwalk of the theater.
In the early 1980's the diocese of Pittsburgh ordered that this church be padlocked in the early morning without forewarning parishioners.In the early 1980's the diocese of Pittsburgh ordered that this church be padlocked in the early morning without forewarning parishioners. The explanation given the diocese was that the floor of the 125 year old church was too weak and in danger of collapse. Since that time strange changes to the church have taken place.
Semi-abandoned church and cemetery supposedly haunted by a long-dead witch.On top of one of the highest hills in the state sits an old church with not a single cross. Inside the church are two abandoned pianos, strange paintings, and an attendance chart on the wall with changed with the amount of people in your group. In the neighboring cemetery is a gravestone with a descending staircase, the words "ETERNAL LIFE", a rosebud that stays green 12 months out of the year, and the demonic face of the Highland Witch embedded onto the granite. The week of halloween the gravestone tends to be rotated around to the opposite direction, and this is when the weird things begin to happen. Some friends of mine visited during Halloween 2005, and were greeted with a white presence in the graveyard, and upon their exit, encountered a fire which hadn't been buring on their way into the church. A week later I went with them to the church, only to find the word DIE written in blood on the church stoop. We said we wouldn't ever go back, but within a week we were. It's truly one of West Virginia's Urban Legends.
Every town has one... in Lawrence, NY it's called Bloody Mary's House.Every town has one... in Lawrence, NY it's called Bloody Mary's House. The site is what's left of an old brick house or outbuilding of some sort - and there isn't much left. It's basically just a crumbling brick staircase leading down to a dank, musty, cobweb-filled cement-walled chamber with Satanic-style messages scrawled all over the place.
In the 1980's the place had the reputation of being the place where some big bad mojo went down - devil worship and the like.
A ghostly woman's presenceIn 1794, Marmion was the home of T. T. Thornton.
A ghostly woman presently haunts the House. She has been seen walking on the stairs, in the dining room and also in one upstairs bedroom.
A "witch ghost" in a most active cemetery.Sightings of a "witch ghost" in the cemetery; puts flowers on childrens' graves, grabs feet?
- Luficer -- 9 Dec 2015 -- A group of ten met in Ellicott City for fresh-roasted coffee, dessert and exploration of various spiritual topics. Details
- Thistle Mill at Ilchester, Md. -- 4 Nov 2015 -- Quick jaunt to site of infamous paperworks, spirit sightings, gruesome deaths, poisonous chemicals, strange goings-on, long dark interest. Numerous photos of the now demolished (and excavated) mill and surrounding area. Liz' rods were wildly communicative (as usual), this time with a spirit identifying itself as "BZZ". We wonder if this was the suicidal Robert Buzzard identified by Lonster in his investigations of the mill. See the old report in EGQ1